Recently came across some very large home made cabinets that contain Altec 803b bass drivers (16 ohms per Altec literature) and 804a high frequency drivers (also 16 ohms per Altec literature) with 811B sectional horns. "Dividing network" in an Altec N-800E. Both speakers rated at 30 watts.
They sound quite good, though I am guessing they'll sound better once crossover caps are replaced (and I get through the "goo" that seals them).
The cabinets are way too big (and ugly) as is. Given these are basically A7 Voice of the Theater components, the cabinets could be much, much bigger.
I need to get these cabinets smaller (or I may have to sell these beauties!), and the closest I can come in an approximate "stock" cabinet was the Altec Valencia, though I'm not sure the Valencia cabinet typically used the same driver I have.
Goal is either a cabinet that contains both drivers, or a cabinet for bass only with horns mounted externally on the top, but absolute minimum make sense size.
I can find loads of calculators on line for enclosures calculating with Thiele Small parameters, to yield cabinet size in cubic feet and port size, etc, but I am clueless as to how to discern these parameters for this ancient bass speaker. I do NOT want a cabinet that gives me "subwoofer thump" (Dave Brubeck, Diana Krall, Eric Clapton, et all, do not require subwoofers, nor do Brian Eno or Mahler, but they can all appreciate a decent bottom end.)
Any guidance as to cabinet size in cubic feet, port diameters, tubes or not, etc?? Driver specs in photos below.
Thanks!






Bookmarks